Thursday, February 24, 2005

7 o' clock Interview

"For by You I can run against a troop,
By my God I can leap over a wall" (Psalm 18:29).

This day had been leading up to tonight's schedule, for I feel in all my mind that my concentration had been on the interview as I went through each other hour. But I see that I should not single out one event when even in the most uneventful day. I am looking forward to any work ahead of me in Washington and elsewhere; out of the picture, the exact "work" could be anywhere, and this opportunity with Milgard may or may not be part of the picture. I hope to know soon. I may see places I do not dream about now, places of great remoteness to me in this country and state. Wishing not to be held back by my own fears or whims, I have bridled some of my impatience; still, I give my plea to the Lord, for in every day I walk I want to do more, struggling to give up anxiousness which produces not production but various restrictions. I have words in my head that I don't perfectly articulate in speech, but then again, my thoughts aren't the pick of the litter either. Studying the words of truth gives me support now as I am in a point in my youth where I have many friends spread out over the USA and many more to meet soon enough. This study in the Word has shown me the full potential of God's grace through the many men and women who have received it. I thank the Lord that I have received it too!

At the interview tonight, in the Pultrusion Division's cafeteria I sat down with M.G., and in a straightforward talk he laid out the company's expectations, goals, responsibilities, and rules. In work wear, jeans, cutoff denim jacket with a T-shirt underneath resembling a biker gang leader, the supervisor gave me the "low-down" his own expectations of any employee or prospective employee. "Attendance problems" are not tolerated, he said. Everyone gets sick in a blue moon, he continued, "but it should be in a blue moon." I felt confidant and gave good attention to his statements and questions. I bared my juvenile experiences on the table, verbalizing the short history of my labor: odd jobs mostly, lawn maintenance, a two-month stint in a restaurant, some construction work, limited but expanding tape measure skills. The truth is known. My motorcycle captain-supervisor friend at Milgard had it revealed to him; all that is left is the next fork in the road of employment opportunity. Yes, or no? Employed or not employed? A good Shakespearean line would be in order right about now, but I'm not feeling the love of poetry at the moment.

Essentially, I thought today would bring an answer to my wondering mind, but God has placed the prospects of Milgard in my path for a while it seems. M.G. said I "won't see another weekend" the night shift I would belong to always falls on a Friday. "I want to work," I told him while we both leaned our folded hands on the red plastic table top. "Well, I guess a weekend is no good when you don't have money," he said. I don't usually do anything special on the weekends anyway, I thought to myself, but I restrained from blurting out in an echo my lack of socializing like most teenagers do. The interviewer spoke to me as if I was going to be hired, but he said all he can do is call in to the recruiting office and tell them about the further knowledge about me. I got a fistful of information on work benefits, medical, dental, and vision; and it seems that unlike "most" companies this particular one lets one qualify for benefits in two months instead of three or more. I would be under constant scrutiny in an evaluation for the first six weeks if hired, and I believe I could do well. Once I have the system, the routine, the idea of how things run I am an effective worker; and by Jove, the Lord will strengthen me and equip me in this venture.

"For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind" (2 Timothy 1:7).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Keep going Matthew our god has many plans for you look to our father he will show you the way.