Saturday, May 07, 2005

Production Lines, Travel Trailers, and Hope

"Therefore I say unto you, take no thought for your life, whe ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink; nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on. Is not the life more than meat, and the body more than raiment" (Matthew 6:25 KJV)?

Line 1 went down once last night from the torn fiber mats sewn together in a bad way. Difficult night for me as it was the first time I was assigned to manage a line, sewing mats and gluing rovings with such a curious technique of a beginner, that I almost gave up a couple times. Thankfully, I did not give up; I surrendered my anger (again and again) to God. The glue jobs broke and snagged and knotted up several times, prompting me to scurry to all sides of the machine and shelves behind to understand what I had done wrong. The mat change (which is dire because in order to produce a good part an operator needs to take the new, full roll of matting and insert the cut endings to that of the old, spent roll so the part won't have any disruptions) was awkward the first time. I was so eager to change the mat that I unraveled what must have been a couple hundred feet of material, strewn all over the floor, overlapping itself dozens of times, piling up about two feet off the concrete floor, and attracting much attention and funny looks from the other operators. Laughing to myself and cracking jokes with the more experienced coworker on the next line running, I found out two things:

1) Line 1 is the "easiest" line in the ten lines2) The progressively spent roll of mat I had changed had about another hour's worth to go.

As a packer I have become comfortable and at ease with the familiar jobs that go with the title, but as with all things, comfort and ease must be handed up without a fit in order for patience and maturity to grow. The deliverance of comfort raced through my mind a hundred times last night as I was lying on my side trying to untangle knots and snags as the rovings were being pulled through the numerous holes and tubes on up to the vat of mix and cast into the mold. We grow when put to the test.

Had a useful conversation with the operator next to me and the lead operator about apartments and rent, returning to the idea of finding a studio, and also entertaining the idea of renting an RV space. The operator offered a Coleman two-burner propane stove to me as well. I came home this morning and mentioned the talk of RVs and my Mom then told me of a man who is selling a 10' (not big, but to me, big enough) feet long Chinook. After calling him and finding that he would take $600 for it we set up a meeting at 4:00 this afternoon, and after going to the bank to cash basically all of my pay check, and after waking up at 3:30, and after another call we found out that the item for sale is not a trailer but a self-contained camper. My hopes and dreams of living in a trailer were dashed to pieces this afternoon (rest in peace) when I realized, too, and reminded that I have a 4-cylinder 4x4 (not quite powerful enough to haul around a self-contained trailer).

I am hopeful, nevertheless.

No comments: