Monday, April 25, 2005

1 John 5:14-15

Such a night it was last night for prayer. Much prayer to God in thankfulness and petitioning came to a head once I stopped to read in the Journals of Jim Elliot, the book of the Christian missionary to the Quicha and Auca Indians in Ecuador in the 1950s who was killed by an Auca spear along with two other Christian men on a sand bar in Auca territory. The book, edited by his widow (now writer and speaker) Elisabeth Elliot, is a timeless classic of encouragement; each time I sit to read in it I find some learning from the man's mind as he had been compelled to log his discoveries and insights in the Word and in life with the Word.

Before going to sleep at 2 AM, I had that night been feeling discontent with my search for an apartment or room to rent here in the Puget Sound, tossing aside the renter's guidebook and praying to God for His provision. It will come. I finished praying and read this:

"Now this is the confidence that we have in Him, that if we ask anything
according to His will, He hears us. And if we know that He hears us, whatever we
ask, we know that we have the petitions that we have asked of Him" (1 John 5:14-15).

Not much to say after that, except that I will rest easy in faith, in patience for the Lord. Inside I keep thinking, "Remember Isaiah 30:18!" I do remember it.

Tonight, and in a moment I'll leave, there's ongoing work to do at Milgard in almost my second month with the company. I will be taking the opporator's exam and interview sometime this week it is likely, since I had informed my supervisor I am interested in the position.

Good night.

No comments: