Saturday, March 05, 2005

Recap On the Factory

They said I'd be a bit tired, yes sir, they all said it down at the plant. I believe I'll have stories to tell to my kin or neighbors later on down the road in life about how I worked in a factory; the life of a factory worker is not a lonely job, for you have many comrades manning the machines, helping you pack the goods (vinyl "profiles" for the processing of windows). I'm not singing "A Hard Day's Night" yet so I'm feeling well, alert, and keen thanks to the Master's hand and provision. I prayed on the steps going down to my room yesterday afternoon, having read the last column in the War Cry, the Salvation Army's monthly newsletter, about fear. The writer wrote, very strikingly to my mind that when one is not praying continually he becomes soft, weak; I understood that any worries I have had about anything should be dealt with in front of God, at His feet, in prayer.

Last night, funny thing, I used my step dad's old small ice chest with the "Real Men Love Jesus" sticker on the front of it, reporting to my first day on the job. I had not really desired to wear my faith "on my sleave" or in this case on my lunch box, but the Lord called me to do it; for the only excuse that I had creaping in the back of my mind was that I shouldn't profess Christ's name in the workplace on the first day of work. What will people say, exclaimed the horrid thought. They would simply have to take it or leave it. And I found out that my supervisor is a Christian, who had come up to me while I was on the job, first making small talk ("Is that you mail Jeep out there...?"), and then he asked, "I saw the sticker on you lunch box." And so we eventually had a discussion at 11:45 PM on the lunch break about Scripture, and even the Somolian co-worker whose father is a minister in east Tacoma joined in. Things happen on God's watch weather you want them to or not.

And now it begins again, my friends. I ought t o go put the coffee in my thermos, drink the joe I have in my cup, check my lunch box with that sticker of inspiration, and drive off down to Fife. May you all have a good night's rest.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love it Matthew! God is so great! So keep on with the light shinning ok!

love m