Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Working Daze: Don't Shake Hands With A Razorblade Knife

I had quite an interesting shift last night. During the rotation, an older fellow from the Red Team told me as he was preparing to leave his post and hand it over to me, "Yeah, it's been a real hassle today... I'm always glad to see you guys come in." Certainly, after 12 hours one sure doesn't mind to see the next shift arrive. I always manage to pray before and during work, but especially before, that I will learn something new and continue to be willful on the job; having said that, I always do learn a thing or two, or more, and I fortunately feel willing to work. There's a slogan on one of the Milgard Windows T-shirts which says (pun intended all the way), "No Pane, No Gain".

So when I cut my hand with a razor blade knife, reached for a first aid kit a few moments later, and passed out from feeling light-headed (it wasn't because I saw my own stinkin' blood!), hitting my head on the concrete floor, with the blood on my left hand oozing out, there is something to be said about metal gloves and most emphatically the seriousness which the company makes of any injury (including my minor cut).

I was zoomed to the hospital, the 'zooming' being the sound of a co-worker's truck's muffler, and dropped off to fend for myself and the paperwork I had to sign before any treatment. The doctors down at the clinic are quite nice; they tell you to lay down and get comfortable on the job. That's the first and hopefully the last time. I was stitched up (with one fine, nylon stitch) and given a tetanus shot, the first one I've taken in probably ten years, rocked and rolled down the one, two, three hallways to take a CAT-Scan in that souped up machine of magic. One childhood recollection for this entry is: The last CAT-Scan I had was back in Kindergarten when a classmate jumped on my spleen and stretched it, unintentially of course; kindergarteners are unfamiliar with spleens and the human anatomy, at least we were back in the day.

So Migard is right, "No Pane, No Gain". And I've learnt that you should not do two things with a razorblade knife: 1.) You should not scrape from the bottom up. 2.) You should not shake hands with it.

No comments: