Wednesday, March 09, 2005

Two Expositions: One on God and the Other on the Pride of Man

"All the ways of man are pure in his own eyes,
But the LORD weighs the spirits" (Proverbs 16:2).
As a precurser to my personal discoveries of today, which incudes some insight on the humor found in eating from a pack of sunflower seeds, I wish to expand on yesterday's topic. Love, honor, and respect come into play in one's genuine submission to the will of God. In this submissive state, a man gives his life to the LORD and his ways are directed towards the glorification of being made whole in Christ. In 2 Peter 1:2-3 Peter writes that by the knowledge, the understanding, the faith grounded in Christ He has given to us "all things that pertain to life and godliness" and "called us by glory and virtue". The worship of God isn't any special ceremony (though it is perfectly sensable to say that we honor God's name in singing songs about Him and His characteristics and in the ritual of communion, which is done not for the sake of ritual itself but for the reminder of the union between God and man through the atonement of our sins; for it should only be done by those who have been saved by His grace).

With that said, I'll move onto my experience with sunflower seeds and the moral which I have found from out of the message on the back of the pack. I went to the Dollar Store in Summit this afternoon, buying some chips and cookies for the "junk" part of my work lunches. As I strolled through the rows of goodness for a buck, I happened to come upon some David Sunflower Seeds. I didn't have the yearning, burning desire to eat any seeds before that instant, but once I gazed into the pack of seeds I buckled down and bought it, the Ranch Flavor that is.

Once I was in the truck, I opened the pack and gave it a good rip and took out some seeds, savoring them in my mouth one by one until I cracked each shell open to taste the salty treasure inside. As I cracked, ate, and spit the remainders into a foam cup, I looked down at the back of the pack with the curiosity of today's consumer. This is what caught my eyes:

CONGRATULATION! YOU'RE A SEEDER!
Seeders are unique. They're cool, confident, independent,
active, and hard working. They know that eating DAVID Sunflower Seeds makes what they do more enjoyable. Things are better with DAVID because they're a snack and an activity. Experience SNACKTIVITY(tm).

For a moment as I went down the road, thinking about this message, I thought to myself, I do feel pretty cool, and I know that I'm confident. Heck, I'm a self-made man! I'm full of energy and spunk! I'm the epitomy of manliness! That was when I chuckled and listened to the voice of what is true and good, He said, "You're eating sunflower seeds." Stinkin' seeds! I was sucked in; totally duped into thinking I was some big shot full of good beans; mindlessly lead into the wilderness of meglomania; suduced by sunflower seeds! Come on! Seeds, really?

That pretty much sums up my story. The moral is self explained, I think. Don't falsify or magnify yourself with seeds and pride. If you want to know more, you can drop a comment or question somewhere on my site, and if you don't want to know anymore write me a letter and enclose it with some Jumbo Seeds: B.B.Q style. Because that just completes everything but what needs to be completed. Thanks a lot.

"Commit your works to the LORD,
And your thoughts will be established" (Proverbs 16:3).

No comments: